Face/Print Scan Attendance
CourseKey's Face/Print Scan attendance technology provides an easy and secure method for students to check-in and out of class. The mobile app leverages the same stored biometric security data on your device, a finger print or face recognition, to verify and track your attendance.
How do I check in for attendance?
Select your current class and when the attendance session is active click the Attendance tile.
Your device will activate your preferred biometrics option and you'll be prompted to touch the fingerprint scanner, or look at the front facing camera to verify your presence. Watch for the success confirmation and that's it!
If you haven't previously enabled facial and/or fingerprint data on your device, you'll need to complete the setup process before checking-in for the first time. The step by step process will vary by device, but you'll begin by going to your device settings. Look for an option related to 'Security' or 'Touch ID & Passcode' and complete the steps as indicated in your device's user manual.
Allow CourseKey Access
On select devices you'll be prompted to allow CourseKey to use Touch/Face ID. CourseKey needs access to be notified by your device that the authentication was successful, but we do not access or store your fingerprint or Face ID data.
What if my Face ID / Touch ID doesn't validate?
Based on your device, you will have a limited number of attempts to validate your Face ID or Touch ID. If you've reached the maximum number of attempts you'll receive an attendance error.
If you're using an Android device and you've reached the maximum number of attempts, you'll need to wait 30 seconds and then click the option to 'Retry'.
If you're using an iOS device and you've reached the maximum number of attempts, you'll need lock and unlock your phone and return to the CourseKey app to try again.
If you continue to get errors using Face ID, follow the tips recommended by your device manufacturer such as:
- Fully cover the sensor with your fingertip.
- Make sure your hands are dry.
- If you continue to encounter an issue, you can return to your device settings and reset your Touch ID.
If you continue to get errors in validating using Face ID, follow the tips recommended by your device manufacturer such as:
- Adjust your phone's orientation (hold vertically in portrait orientation).
- Hold your device at arms length or closer.
- Make sure nothing is blocking your face.
- If you continue to encounter an issue, return to your device settings and add an alternate appearance or reset your Face ID.
What if I get an error that says "No Active Attendance"?
This message is letting you know that the attendance session has either not yet started or has already been completed. You will also see the details of the last session.
- If you miss the session you can speak to your instructor regarding the course policy.
- CourseKey Support does not make changes to attendance grades.
Still Not Working?
- Restart you device.
- Uninstall and reinstall the CourseKey app.
- Contact support by submitting a ticket through the mobile app, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org