Admin Management of GPS Locations
CourseKey now offers the ability to add multiple check-in locations to courses that use our GPS attendance technology (See our note on GPS, Google Maps and CourseKey location technologies for more detail). This is particularly beneficial to schools that manage students at offsite locations, such as externship and clinical courses, where students are assigned to different locations, or where a student may travel from one location to another. With the CourseKey GPS site management feature, school administrators can create and store all site locations that are needed for a campus.
With a pre-defined list of externship and clinical sites, instructors can easily search and add the relevant sites to their course. When it's time to check-in, students simply select the site they are attending that day, and CourseKey verifies and records that they are at the correct location.
School administrators can access the Site Management feature within their CourseKey account.
1. Log in to your account on the web application and click on the Admin Home button in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Click on Site Management in the top navigation.
3. Select your school or campus from the drop-down menu.
Add a New Location
Begin the process by creating the first location, or add an additional location to the list.
1. Click on the Add Site button located near the top left corner of the map.
2. Enter a name for the site. This is how instructors and students will identify the site so it's important that it is descriptive of the location. Each site name must be unique.
3. Enter the site address.
4. Adjust the pin. It's best to zoom in on the map and drag and drop the pin if needed.
5. Enter the check-in radius (in meters). This creates the perimeter of the location where a student is allowed to check-in. Entering a larger radius allows for more flexibility in large settings such as hospitals, and a small radius can can create a more specific check-in location. The radius will be shown in a red circle, so be sure that it is covering the intended location.
6. When finished, click Submit to save. Repeat the process for any additional sites you want to add.
To review the list of sites you can sort through the list alphabetically by clicking on the arrow at the top of the list.
The toggle located to the right of the site indicates whether the site is 'Active', which means it is available to add to courses at that campus until deactivated or deleted. If you want to save the site for later use, but you do not want it available to current courses, click the toggle from blue to grey to deactivate. A deactivated site will remain on the course lists, but students will not be able to check-in at that location. Click the arrow next to the 'Active' header to sort by active and inactive sites.
To delete a site permanently click the trash can located next to site name and confirm. This will remove the site from all courses it is currently assigned to.
Clicking on a site in the list will display the location and the radius in the map view. This can be edited at any time by clicking on the pencil icon next to the site name. Make any necessary changes and click Submit to save.
Adding Site Locations to a Course
In order for students to check-in at these locations they must be added to individual courses. This can be completed by an instructor or an administrator with permission to edit the course.
1. From the Attendance page within a course click the Settings Icon (Gear Icon) in the top right corner of the page.
2. Select Set Location.
3. Enter a search term in the Add Location search box. This can be either the site name (example: San Diego Medical Center) or the address (example: 123 Street Name, San Diego).
4. Select the matching location from the drop-down results.
You can add as many site as you need to each course. If this process will be completed by an instructor you can share the article: Adding Site Locations to Your Course
Please sign in to leave a comment.