How to Run Sound Attendance
Sound attendance can be scheduled from within your course, or initiated manually by an instructor. This article will discuss some additional functionality that is available when running sound attendance for your course, as well as some troubleshooting tips.
Starting Sound Attendance Manually
If you've chosen manual attendance you will need to initiate the attendance during each class.
1. From within your Course, navigate to the Attendance page.
2. Click Take Attendance in the top left corner of the screen.
3. A pop-up will show with your default settings. If needed, adjust the Duration and Point Value for this attendance session.
4. Click Start Attendance.
Pausing Sound Attendance
When sound attendance is running you can choose to pause the sound. Students will not be able to check in while the sound is paused.
1. To Pause sound, click the speaker icon next to the attendance time clock in the top left of the screen. The icon will turn red.
2. To Resume sound, click the speaker icon again.
Alphanumeric Check in
Sound attendance requires students to check in from the CourseKey app on their smartphone or iPad. However, if they are using the web browser they have the option to check in using an alphanumeric code provided by an instructor. To find the code you'll need to click on the a# button.
In order for a student to be able to enter this code, the instructor may need to adjust their roster settings.
If student's are not able to check in while attendance is running, the first step is to determine if all students are encountering an issue, or if it's isolated to individual students. If all students are encountering an issue, then it's likely that the sound is not being broadcast through the speakers. To test your speakers with the speaker test, check out this article:
If individual students are encountering an error check out this article for some troubleshooting tips: