How to Create a Matrix Question
Here we will discuss the details of creating a matrix question in the CourseKey app. For the basics of creating a question check out the article:
A matrix question allows students or instructors to respond to survey style questions by defining rows and column options. Once you've selected Matrix as your question type, follow these steps to complete the creation of your question.
1. Add instructions in the Compose Question text box.
2. Under Stems, list the prompts for your options.
3. List the Response Options. These will populate the columns after your prompts.
Set Correct Answers
1. Enter the number of Points you want awarded for a correct answer.
2. The matrix you created will be visible below. To indicate correct responses simply click on the correct response option for each stem.
a. To allow more than one correct answer for each stem, check the box for Multiple Responses, and select the responses.
b. To display the response options in a different order each time the question is rendered, check the box for Shuffle Options.
c. To set an Alternate correct answer with a different point value, click the blue plus sign.
1. Choose the Scoring Type
a. Exact Match: Student must answer all parts of the question correct to receive a mark.
b. Partial Match Per Response: Each correct response element will be awarded an individual score.
c. Partial Match: Each correct response element will be scored individually and the overall question score will be divided between responses.
2. Enter any Penalty Points. This value is how many points a students will lose for submitting an incorrect response.
3. Enter the number of points you want awarded for Participation.
1. Select a Table or Inline Matrix Style from the drop down menu.
2. To add a title to a stem column insert it in the Stem Column Title. The title will appear above the stems row.
3. To add a title to the response options column add it in the Option Row Title.
4. Stem Width defines the width of the stem column and Options Width sets the width of each option column. Both values should be inserted in pixels.
5. Check the box for Dividers to show horizontal lines underneath each stem in the matrix.
6. Confirm your folder selection and click Save.