How to Start an Assessment
After an assessment has been created it will appear on your Send Assessment tab within your course. Each assessment provides the options to start the assessment immediately or schedule it for a later date and/or time. This article walks you through how to select your preference and start your assessment immediately.
To schedule an assessment for a future date or time, check out the article:
Start an Assessment Now
1. Log in to your CourseKey account, choose your course, and locate the Send Assessment page.
2. Locate the specific assessment you want to activate.
3. Select the Send button.
4. Select the Start Assessment tile and press Next to proceed to the assessment settings.
5. Select the radio buttons to choose your desired Settings.
Select how to send questions:
a. All at once releases the entire assessment at once and allows students to work question by question at their own pace.
b. One by one releases one question at a time with start and stop functionality. As the instructor, you will use the start/stop buttons in the modal to display questions at your discretion. Only sent questions will count as part of the completed assessment in the gradebook.
Select whether students will have a time limit to submit this assessment:
a. No, students will not have a time limit. Once a student opens the assessment they can continue to work on it and submit their answers up until the selected close date/time.
b. Yes, set a time limit. Each student will have up to the selected time limit to complete the assessment. The timer will be on an individual basis that begins counting down when they first open the assessment. (The student still must submit their answers before the scheduled close date/time). In the fields provided enter the length of the time limit in hours and minutes.
Select whether student attendance is required to access the assessment:
a. No, students do not need to be checked in. All students in the course will have the option to complete the assessment. This is the preferred option for homework assignments that take place out of the scheduled class time.
b. Yes, require students to be checked in. Before a student can access the assessment they must be checked in to an active attendance session. (Students will not be able to access the assessment if there is attendance is not in session).
Select which students will have access to the assessment:
a. All students. The assessment will be available to all students in the course. (If you've chosen to require students to be checked-in, then all checked-in students will have access).
b. Specific students. Selecting this option will display all of the students currently enrolled in the course. Select the checkbox next to each student that should have access to the assessment. If the student's name is not selected, the student will not see the assessment.
6. Once you've chosen all your preferences, select Start Assessment to begin!
After you start an assessment, you will be prompted to view the Live Results. This feature allows you to gain insight into the class's progress in real-time. Scroll through the questions one by one using the arrows at the bottom of the pop-up. By default, the responses and answers will be hidden.
Selecting to Show Responses will display how many students chose each of the available options. Selecting to Show Answer will indicate the correct answer for each question.
All at Once - Ending the Assessment
If you selected to send the questions 'All at Once' it is not required to remain on the Live Results while the students are completing the assessment. To close the window but keep the assessment running you can minimize the live results pop-up. However, when it is time to close the assessment for all students an instructor must return to the live results and select to Stop Assessment.
1. To return to the Live Results locate the specific assessment and select Open.
2. To close the assessment click Stop Assessment at the bottom of the Live Results pop-up.
One by One
One by one lets instructors choose which question to send and exactly when students receive the question, usually to break up the pace of the lecture. Instructors can push questions in any order and pause them to come back to another class. Any questions that are skipped will be removed from the grading when the assessment is completed.
1. Use the arrows in the bottom corners of the live results pop-up to navigate through the questions.
2. Click Send Question to allow your students time to answer that question.
3. Click Stop Question when the time is up.
4. Navigate to the next question you want to send and repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. When you're finished sending questions click the 'X' in the top right corner of the Live Results pop-up. This will give you the option to Pause or Complete the assessment. You can also select cancel and return to the live assessment.