How to Create an Essay Question
Here we will discuss the details of creating an essay question in CourseKey. For the basics of creating a question check out the article:
How to Create Questions for Assessments
An essay question allows students to type long detailed responses questions. These questions cannot be autoscored since grading is subjective. Once you've selected Essay as your question type, follow these steps to complete the creation of your question.
1. Enter a question prompt in the Compose Question area.
2. Use the Copy, Cut, and Paste checkboxes to determine whether students will be allowed to perform those functions.
a. If these are not checked students will not be able to perform those actions when typing their response to the question.
3. Enter the Word Limit for student responses.
4. Choose the Word Limit Visibility from the drop down menu.
a. Always Visible - Word Limit is always displayed.
b. On Limit - Word Limit will only be displayed when the limit is reached.
c. Off - Word Limit will not be displayed.
1. Choose the number of Correct Points that could be awarded.
Remember essay questions are not autograded. This refers to the total number of points possible, but each student's grade will still need to be entered manually.
2. Enter the number of points you want awarded for Participation.
For essay questions, the participation points will be automatically applied if the students answers the question. Points can be adjusted after the essay is graded.
3. Confirm your folder selection and click Save.
Please sign in to leave a comment.