How to Set GPS Locations for Attendance
When you choose GPS as your Attendance Technology, you’ll need to set the location for your course. This is how you create the perimeter for students to check-in to class. If your class meets in different locations, for example a classroom and a lecture hall, you also have the option to create multiple check-in locations.
If this is your first time setting up attendance and you have not yet chosen your Tracking System or Preferred Method, check out this article to get started.
Adding a Check-in Location
After you select GPS as your Attendance Technology you will prompted to set your location. Additionally, if you ever need to adjust your location you can do so by selecting Set Location from the settings (gear icon) on the Attendance page.
1. Click on the Add Site button located near the top left corner of the map.
2. Enter a name for the site. The site name will be displayed in the student gradebook for each attendance check-in. If you have multiple locations it is important that it is descriptive so students can identify which location to check-in to. Each site name must be unique.
3. Enter the site address. Depending on the location you may also be able to search by other terms, such as the school name.
4. Adjust the pin. It's best to zoom in on the map and drag and drop the pin if needed. This is particularly important for large universities where the address does not match a specific classroom or building.
5. Enter the check-in radius (in meters). This creates the perimeter of the location where a student is allowed to check-in. Entering a larger radius allows for more flexibility, while a small radius can can create a more specific check-in location. The radius will be shown in a red circle, so be sure that it is covering the intended location.
6. When finished, click Submit to save.
Maintaining Multiple Locations
If you've added multiple locations you can sort through the list alphabetically by clicking on the arrow at the top of the list.
The toggle located to the right of the site indicates whether the site is 'Active'. Any site that is active is available for the student to check-in to. On the student side, they will see a list of the available location and they simply select the location they are at to verify their attendance. (If there is only one site available, they will bypass this process.)
To disable check-ins at a location in your list and save it for later use, click the toggle from blue to grey to deactivate it. You can also sort through active and inactive sites by clicking the arrow next to the 'Active' header.
To delete a site permanently click the trash can located next to site name and confirm.
Clicking on a site in the list will display the location and the radius in the map view. This can be edited at any time by clicking on the pencil icon next to the site name. For example, if students are having any trouble checking-in you may need to adjust the pin location or increase the check-in radius. Make any necessary changes and click Submit to save.
Please sign in to leave a comment.