How to Set Up and Configure Attendance
After creating your course, you will need to finish setting up your attendance settings. Here, you will choose your tracking system, preferred method, and attendance technology.
Configure Attendance for the First Time
1. Click on the CourseKey logo to navigate to the Home screen with your list of courses.
2. Click on your course that you want to set up attendance for.
a. This should prompt you to begin setting up attendance. If not, click on Attendance in the top navigation bar.
3. Choose your Tracking System. There are two options.
a. Credit Hour (Point System)
This process records students check-ins on a points basis and allows you to differentiate between On-Time, Late, and Absent. This is ideal for most four year university courses or community college courses that offer credits for course completion.
b. Clock Hour (Time System)
This process records the actual time a student is checked-in for class during theory, clinicals/labs, and externship shifts. This is ideal for courses and modules that require monitoring and reporting on actual time in attendance for compliance and accreditation purposes.
4. Click the circle to the right of the attendance method of your choice and click Next to proceed to the next question.
5. Choose your Preferred Method. There are two options.
a. Scheduled Attendance
This option allows you to schedule your attendance sessions in advance to go out automatically based on the days and times provided.
b. Manual Attendance
This option requires the instructor to launch the attendance sessions manually at any time of their choosing. However, the instructor must activate each attendance session.
6. Click the circle to the right of the attendance method of your choice and click Next to proceed to the next question.
Scheduled vs Manual Attendance Settings
The next step in the process depends on whether you chose Scheduled or Manual Attendance. If you chose Manual Attendance you can skip ahead to section labeled Manual Attendance.
1. Make any edits to Check-in 1 time or points awarded.
The days and times for scheduling will be populated based on the time and days you scheduled for your class. The default Check-in is 10 minutes, but you may want to adjust this.
2. Add a late time for Check-in 1 (Optional).
Adding a late check in time can give students partial credit when they check in late for class.
3. Add a Second Check in Time (Optional).
Some professors may want students to check in for a second time to ensure they are still in class. You can also schedule that here but it is not necessary.
1. Choose the default Check in Time and Points Awarded.
2. Remember with Manual Attendance you will need to hit the Take Attendance button for each class session. You will again have the opportunity to edit the check in time and points awarded.
1. After completing your Manual or Scheduled Attendance settings, click Next to proceed and choose your Attendance Technology.
2. Click the circle to the right of the Attendance Technology you want to use (Sound, GPS, or QR), and click Next.
a. GPS Attendance
You will need to select your location for GPS attendance to work properly. Click Here for more information.
b. Sound or QR Code Attendance
Review the information about your Attendance Technology and click Done when complete.