Getting the Most Out of Class Chat in CourseKey
CourseKey's Class Chat is a mobile communication tool that can be used by instructors, students, and TA/GA to stay connected inside and/or outside of class. Uses range from students asking for peer clarification on lecture topics, distributing resources/current event links to supplement the course material and gathering real-time feedback on class discussion topics.
How To Get to Your Class Chat
- STEP 1: Log in to your CourseKey account via the web application and click on the Chat tab
Understanding Your Class Chat Settings
Clicking in the Settings icon while in the Class Chat tab will bring up the options specific to this page.
- Master On/Off: This setting allows the instructor to Enable/Disable the entire chat room.
- You can disable the Class Chat during class by toggling the setting to the 'Off'
- Assessment Security On/Off: This setting allows the instructor to automatically Disable the Class Chat feature during any active assessment.
- Settings are automatically set to disable the Class Chat during assessments by default
- You may turn off this default setting by toggling to the 'off' switch
Managing Your Class Chat Tab
Removing a Class Chat Message:
- STEP 1: Click the "X" icon next to the message you wish to remove from the Class Chat
- STEP 2: Confirm the deletion by clicking the Delete button
Posting a Message in Class Chat
- STEP 1: Type your message into the text bar and click on the Send button
- Your message will appear at the bottom of the feed and will send an alert to all student with notifications enabled.
Posting a YouTube Video in Class Chat
- STEP 1: Find the YouTube video you wish to share in Class Chat and copy the URL form the browser search bar
- STEP 2: Copy your YouTube video URL to the text bar and click on the Send button
- Your video will appear at the bottom of the feed and will send an alert to all student with notifications enabled.
Attaching Resources to Class Chat
- STEP 1: Click on the Attachment icon to bring up your device file directory
- STEP 2: Find and select the file you want to upload to the Class Chat and click Open
- Your files will appear at the bottom of the feed and will send an alert to all student with notifications enabled.
Looking for some Advanced Strategies to Improve Your Class Chat?