Creating and Managing Custom Forms
Rather than using unintegrated survey tools or paper-and-pen to collect data from staff and students for compliance purposes, clients can now build custom forms to support a variety of needs and send them to both students and their evaluators, all directly through CourseKey.
- Once Forms feature access is granted at both a school and user-level, users will see a new “Forms” button under the Applications menu in the global nav bar.
Note: reach out to your Customer Success Manager for more details on accessing Forms.
Building a New Custom Form
- To create a new form, click the "+ New Form" button on the main Forms page and input a variety of basic attribute fields (where required fields are noted with *):
- Title*: the title of the form
- School*: the school the form is tied to. Only admins and participants affiliated with the selected school will be able to interact with the form.
- Description: description of the form for reference to your internal team
- Recipient Type*: select the types of participants the form should be available to. Can be All, Admin, Staff, or Student.
- Approval Flow*: enable this optional setting if your team wishes to review form responses for correctness/completeness before marking them as Approved or Rejected.
Note: these fields can be edited via the Form Settings tab at any time before a form is published.
- Once the form is created, users will be automatically redirected to the Form Builder tool. Choose from a number of field and layout elements to suit your custom form need. At any time while building out the form, you may use the Preview tab to view the form as it will be displayed to participants.
Sending Forms to Recipients
There are two ways to distribute forms to recipients: 1 by sharing a link to the form, or 2 by targeting the form to specific recipients through the Forms UI. Both channels are available on the Send Form modal.
Sharing a Link to a Form
- Simply copy the link to the form and distribute the link to your desired recipients to begin collecting responses. Participants will be required to log into CourseKey to respond to the form.
- Note: when the form Recipient Type is set to "All", an alternative "External" link will be available for use cases where your recipients are not CourseKey users. However, because the recipients will not be required to log in by following this link variant, CourseKey will not be able to tie their response to a specific CourseKey user profile/ account.
Requesting Responses from Specific Users
- To target the form to specific users on CourseKey, use the Request From Users section of the Send Form modal. Simply select the users of interest and click Send.
- To more easily find the recipients of interest, search by Name or IssuedID, or filter the list down by Course.
- The user options listed in this view will be limited to users affiliated with the school, and further constrained based on your specified Recipient Type for the form.
- When a form is sent to specific users,
- New "Sent" entries will be automatically added to the form participants table for ease of response/activity tracking.
- Student recipients will receive a Push Notification informing them of that a new form is available for them to complete.
* Note: Students must have app version 4.22.3 or higher in order to receive Forms-related Push Notifications.
- Staff recipients will receive a notification via email.
- All recipients (regardless of user type) will see the form listed under "Awaiting Response" within the My Forms section of their CourseKey Account page.
Triggering Forms to Send Automatically Based on Program or Checklist Progress
- After a form is published, Skills Tracker customers sending to Student or All audiences can configure sending via triggers in Settings in one of two ways:
- Skills Tracker Checklist Progress: sends the form to students who have completed a certain percentage of a checklist.
- Skills Tracker Program Progress: sends the form to students who have completed a certain number of checklists in a program.
These triggers are found at the bottom of the Settings screen. Here is an example when set for Programs:
...and here is an example when set for the percentage of an individual Checklist:
A form can be set for only one trigger at at time, and will only send to active users within the given Program. Triggers will process hourly, and can only fire to a given individual user once.
Note: Forms must be Published before they can begin collecting responses. Once a trigger is turned On, all eligible active users will receive the form on the first run, including users who met the condition before the form trigger was configured. For this reason, it may make sense for large or long-lived programs to use manual sending at first, or for school admins to review settings with their Client Success manager, and consider advising students of the new forms coming before launching triggered forms.
Viewing Form Responses (as an Admin)
- All form sends and subsequent responses will be logged in the following views:
- Responses tab (global) - contains export-able responses from all forms at the school(s) the admin has access to, sorted by descending recency of Last Activity by default.
- Form Overview (participants table) - contains responses to the single form, sorted by Last Activity desc by default
- Simply click the View Response button to see the individual's response on the form and optionally print them for any relevant analog record-keeping purposes.
If the "Approvals" setting is enabled on the form, school admins will additionally have the opportunity to mark the response "Approved" or "Rejected" after reviewing each response (pictured below):
Note that "Approved" responses will be labeled "Completed" all all relevant Forms views that depict response status.
Viewing Forms (as a Recipient)
- All recipients (regardless of user type) will see their forms listed within the My Forms section of their CourseKey Account page. There are two sections of My Forms to help participants better understand which forms still require their attention:
- "Awaiting Response"
My Forms is available on both the Web App and on the Mobile Student App.
- Recipients may simply click a form of interest to either submit a response, or view their previously submitted response. Note that recipients can only send one response for each individual form they've been sent.
- Recipients will receive a notification for each of the following Forms events:
- when a new form is available for them to complete
- when a pending form response was Approved
- when a pending form response was Rejected
- when an admin has manually prompted a reminder for a student to complete the form
- Student recipients will receive a Push Notification, while Staff will receive a notification via email
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I need to edit an existing form that I've already published?
- Once published, a form can begin to collect responses but is no longer editable. However, users can iterate on published forms by duplicating them using the 3-dot menu on the Forms Listing page. Work necessary changes into the new copy before it is published and, if desired, archive the original form if it has become outdated.